Trusted By Families & Experts
We’re here to assist your child in having a delightful and engaging eye care experience, with a strong emphasis on promoting clear vision and maintaining healthy eyes.
Our team is trusted by families across Medford, and we regularly accept referrals from other optometrists and ophthalmologists in our area. Our reputation precedes us, but you can see us in action when your child visits us for an eye exam.
We offer eye exams for children at any age, and we’re ready to address their needs and support their vision development.
Whether they need glasses, contacts, or vision therapy, we’re here to help. Request your child’s next appointment with Advanced Vision Wellness Center today.Request Appointment
Why Are Eye Exams Important for Kids?
Children depend on their vision to understand the world around them. However, hidden vision problems can impact their learning skills, social growth, and well-being.
Early detection can make a huge difference for childhood vision challenges. Regular eye exams help us find and treat issues that can affect children’s vision and eye health.
Let’s help your child see the world clearly.
What to Expect During Your Child’s Eye Exam
The American Optometric Association suggests scheduling the first comprehensive eye exam for kids around 6–12 months old and another at 3–5 years. But if you notice any signs of visual problems or have concerns about your child’s eyes, it’s never too early to have an eye exam.
During the exam, we’ll assess different aspects of your child’s eye health and vision. Of course, please feel free to ask any questions you have to get all the info you need about your child’s eye health.
Visual Acuity Tests
With the help of age-appropriate charts or fun interactive methods, we can assess your child’s ability to see objects clearly at various distances.
Eye Tracking Assessments
We assess how well your child’s eyes track objects to support their development of proper eye coordination and muscle control.
Eye Alignment Testing
We use methods such as cover tests and other tests to check your child’s eye alignment and look for issues like amblyopia or strabismus, which you can learn more about on our Common Children’s Eye Conditions section.
Eye Health Evaluation
We’ll examine your child’s eye health and keep an eye out for any signs of abnormalities or eye conditions that may require further attention.
We’ll also take your child’s overall eye health, visual development, and any specific concerns you or your little one may have into account. This helps us provide the next steps for supporting your child’s vision.
Common Children’s Eye Conditions
Children can experience various eye conditions that may impact their vision and eye health. Some common conditions include:
- Refractive errors: Nearsightedness (myopia), farsightedness (hyperopia), and astigmatism are common refractive errors. These can be corrected with glasses or contact lenses.
- Amblyopia (lazy eye): Amblyopia, also known as lazy eye, happens when one eye has better vision than the other, resulting in decreased visual acuity in the weaker eye. Early detection and treatment of amblyopia are important for optimizing visual development.
- Strabismus (crossed eyes): Strabismus, also known as crossed eyes or turned eyes, is a condition where the eyes are misaligned. Early intervention of strabismus is crucial for preventing long-term vision problems.
- Convergence insufficiency: Convergence insufficiency is a condition where the eyes do not align properly, causing difficulty in sustained near vision such as reading.
- Accommodative disorders: Accommodative disorders are conditions that affect the ability of the eyes to focus, resulting in blurry vision.
How Vision Therapy Can Help
The techniques employed in vision therapy can boost eye muscle strength and coordination while enhancing visual tracking and focusing skills. We can recommend the HTS2 vision therapy program, offering a variety of exercises that your child can perform either at home or in our office.
By tailoring eye exercises to address your child’s specific needs, vision therapy can greatly contribute to optimizing their visual development and help prevent potential long-term issues in the future.
Request Your Child’s Eye Exam Today
Supporting your child’s eye health can be a wonderful gift that has lifelong potential benefits for them.
Request a comprehensive eye exam for your child today. Our dedicated team at Advanced Vision Wellness Center is here to provide your child with the eye care they need.Request Appointment
Visit Our Location
Find us in McAndrews Marketplace. Our practice is on the East side of the building, next to Medford Sports Injury & Therapy Center, Inc.
- 1251 East McAndrews Road, Suite 100
- Medford, OR 97504
Hours of Operation
- Monday: 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM
- Tuesday: 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM
- Wednesday: 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM
- Thursday: 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM
- Friday: 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: Closed
We are closed from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM for lunch.